Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Welcome!

First and foremost, I would like to welcome my readers to this blog. Before you all immerse yourself into this wonderful reading experience, I would like to tell you a little bit about me, and what content you might expect to find over the course of the next two months.

Who am I?

My name is Patrick Qi and I'm a junior at Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana. I study professional writing and mass communications, basically journalistic type stuff. I also write sports for Purdue's independent newspaper, The Exponent.

Other things of possible interest include the fact that I am Asian-American. I was born in New York, but I have split my entire life living in China or Stateside. I am bilingual, and I have experience with the lifestyle and cultural aspects of China.

What am I going to be writing about?

Well, hopefully the title of the blog is pretty self explanatory. I've been very fortunate, along with a few of my classmates to be invited to volunteer as apprentice members of the media for the 2008 summer Olympic games. Our main focus will be covering events related to cycling, however our stay at Beijing should allow for insight into many other events as well.

As to the specifics of our duties, the majority of the volunteers from Purdue will be designated as flash quote reporters. This means we're the first wave of media to interview athletes, usually right after they finish their event. Our quotes and notes will be used by other journalists for their own articles.

What else am I going to be writing about?

Seeing as how I am the only member of the Purdue delegation with the ability to speak fluent Mandarin, I will also be writing about my experiences as I guide my fellow classmates and friends around the hustle and bustle known as Beijing. Hopefully my comrades will be adventurous enough to enjoy Beijing for more than what it can offer tourists, but for all the small things that make China unique.

Seeing as how this is my first post, I will stop here in an effort to not overwhelm you. I'm extremely ecstatic and grateful for this wonderful opportunity, and I hope my writings will provide a similar experience for you. Thanks for reading!

No comments: