Sunday, July 20, 2008

Grass is greener

The old adage: "The grass is greener on the other side" can not be more true for the culinary aspects of living in a foreign country. While I do believe I am more accustomed to the different food items that Beijing offers, than my fellow classmates, there are times where I would do almost anything to find an Olive Garden and order a medium rare steak gorgonzola alfredo. Conversations about food with Leroy, Chad and Chris usually are forced to end as we all reminisce about our favorite eateries back in Indiana. While we might not be able to find an authentic burrito or a warm plate of pasta cooked to perfection, we have been making do with what is available.

Our unanimously favorite place to eat in Beijing would have to be Paul's Steak and Eggs. With an amazing location in the embassy district of Beijing, Paul's restaurant has provided us with the most authentic "American" food to date. I have sampled both his pastas and his steak and egg namesake, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every tiny bite I've taken. Thanks Paul for bringing home to Beijing.

Other safe choices would have to be the more established franchises. McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut are in abundance, and all of those places have served pretty good food. Those restaurants for the most part have stuck to their international counterparts menus, but there are a select few items that seem to have a local twist to them. The McDonald's fish fillet apparently includes a generous serving of Wasabi sauce, rather than the mayo that we're used to. I'd stay away from it.

No comments: