Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day before

Unlike most of my fellow classmates who will be undertaking their half-way around the world 14+ hour trip, I will be waking up around 7:00am tomorrow morning to take a relatively painless two hour flight from Shanghai to Beijing.

All I can stay is that I'm stoked to start working at the Olympics. It's not very often that one has the opportunity to just visit an Olympic host city, but to actually contribute is one giant step beyond that exciting prospect. I've lived in Beijing for two years, albeit being around fourteen at the time, and I am excited to see how much Beijing has changed to evolve and adapt itself into a city worthy of housing the world's best athletes. My family resides in Shanghai, and I return once a year on average. Each trip back is almost a different experience in itself. Shanghai has been leading China with its expansion and modernization and I don't believe Beijing is far behind. The new "Bird's Nest" sporting complex and Aquatic center "Water Cube" are architectural marvels. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourselves.



Since we will be assigned to cover cycling, our primary daytime residence will most likely be the Laoshan Velodrome. While not as unique and otherworldly as the nest and the cube, it still is pretty impressive looking.



Anyways, off to finish packing. I'll be posting from Beijing soon.

No comments: