Friday, July 25, 2008

Hospital(ity)

Sorry for the slow updates, but I was overcome with a stomach virus at the beginning of the week and have been bedridden since. Good news is that I am gradually feeling better and I hope to be able to report to my first day of training by Monday.

Tuesday this week, I had already begun to fever amongst an assortment of other maladies and was at breaking point. I called my parents to see if they could arrange for someone to take me to a hospital to get a diagnosis. Little did I know at the time, Beijing had long made plans for easily accessible health care for the Olympics, and the hospital I was taken to had been designated as the official Olympic hospital for all tourists. There were quite a few foreigners there when I arrived, and the hospital worked in an extremely efficient manner. You start off by taking a ticket and waiting for your turn to be called. I barely waited ten minutes before a doctor opened her door to me, and asked me to explain to her what was wrong. A temperature reading, blood and a stool sample later I was prescribed three medications that would neutralize whatever bacteria living in my stomach and I would be on my way to fair health again.

Thanks doc.

No comments: