Sunday, August 3, 2008

Volleyball-Again?

Hopefully the final chapter of this on and off saga has been written. When I went into work on Thursday, I was told by one of the managers that whatever security clearances I required to work at volleyball had been completed. Even though the option to either stay with cycling or go to volleyball was entirely "my decision", I was put in a position that would've placed both volleyball and cycling managers in a tough spot. I'm extremely saddened that I have to leave Krystyna, Amy and Ernst, who are the wonderful cycling managers and experts that have guided me through mock mixed zones and press conferences, but I now have a new challenge to take on.

While on a a base level I understand volleyball quite a bit more than I understood cycling, I'm still not very familiar with the sport. The impression I seem to be getting is that I'll be used at volleyball mainly for my bilingual abilities. The Chinese women are heavy favorites to medal at the very least, and the volleyball manager would like me to translate their quotes in real-time to English. I guess get rid of the translator middleman.

I've been reading up on the rules and history of volleyball lately and hopefully I've built up a sufficient enough knowledge base to perform my job well. Volleyball is more of a high profile sport than cycling, and I believe there will be a lot more pressure at the National Indoor Stadium. I'm slated to start work August 9th and work from 6pm-12am every night until the 24th, which is when the games finish. The good news? I get to take a shuttle everyday instead of the subway. Heh.

No comments: