Monday, August 11, 2008

USA vs China Men's Basketball

With an estimated one billion viewers, this game will go down as one of the most watched sporting events ever. Political implications aside, I find it fantastic as a Chinese-American to watch something this special mainly because I've proved myself on courts everywhere I played that I could hold my own. I remember when I first played at Purdue, I would rarely get the ball passed to me but after awhile I was able to play just as well if not better than some of the other guys.

China was blown out at the end of the game 101-70, but one only has to look at the standing ovation Yao got when he left the court with around four minutes left to understand how important sports can be regardless of nationality. Yao was injured for the majority of the season playing in the NBA and he still isn't near 100% now, but in an interview earlier this summer he did state that if he was unable to play in this year's Olympic games, it would be the biggest disappointment in his career.

There was an obvious difference in skill level between the two teams, but I'm extremely proud to root for both teams and to see how much appreciation basketball recieves in China.

No comments: