Monday, August 4, 2008

First day at Volleyball


I just finished my first day at volleyball and it was fantastic. Volleyball is a much higher profile sport than cycling, mainly due to the fact that the Chinese women's team are heavy favorites to defend their gold medal. There are a lot more volunteers at the Capital Indoor Stadium (CAS), and the amenities are much more bountiful at the venue. There are media lounges stocked with an assortment of food and beverages and the entire area have volunteers stationed to help you find your way around.

One of the coolest parts of being switched is the oh-so elusive upgrade card. Not only am I granted clearance into the CAS, I have also been given clearance to the BIT Gymnasium where many of the preliminary matches will be held. Although I highly doubt I will get a chance to visit the other stadium, the fact that I have the ability should I want to is pretty cool.


What I would describe to be the best part of being switched, is the fact that I get to meet new volunteers and managers. Everyone is extremely friendly and I quickly made friends with both the local Chinese volunteers and the two Australian volunteers as well. We bonded quite quickly and it couldn't have been sooner as we were thrust into our first "real" assignment at the games. The Egyptian men's volleyball team was engaged in their first practice/training session of the games, when we were assigned to interview and take flash quotes. We watched the athletes practice for an hour or so, and then had the amazing opportunity to talk to them face to face. The athletes were just as excited to be a part of the games as we were, and the entire experience is mind-blowing. I look forward to speaking with more athletes as the games progress.

No comments: